Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Pasta and Meat Sauce

On Sunday in addition to the soups and breads I made on Sunday I also made a large pot of meat sauce. It was of course my mom's recipe. I used ground beef and ground pork. I had some sausage from Stew Leonard's that had Provolone cheese and parsley in it. I also had some meatballs in the freezer that I had made last month. This sauce is a good base. You can add any type of meat. My mom use to add everything from ribs to chicken legs.

Ingredients
1 large onion, chopped

olive oil

ground beef
sausage
crushed tomatoes, canned

tomato paste

parsley

oregano

salt

pepper


Method - Heat oil and saute onion until translucent. Add the meats. Cook until meat begins to brown. Drain off any fat from the pan. Add the crushed tomatoes. Cover and simmer for about 2 hours, depending on the type of meat that is used. If the sauce is thin add tomato paste. Season with parsley, oregano, salt and pepper.

I usually use 4 cans of crushed tomatoes and end up with 4 to 5 freezer bags of sauce.

The result was a perfect sauce, of course we had not had homemade meat sauce in quite some time.

Also the recipe from the
Giambotto that my brother-in-law made is posted on the entry from September 6. And the photos from our Re Sette dinner are up.


1 comment:

Velva said...

It is a must to have a great Sunday sauce recipe! This looks really good. A good pasta sauce is always so comforting and satisfying.