Saturday, November 21, 2009

Chicken with Leeks and Bacon and Rissoto Primavera Cake

When Chris and I met we were both working at a restaurant named Nancy Lee's. It was an American Bistro. One of the items on the menu was Chicken with Leeks and Bacon. Nancy finished her recipe with cream but 17 years later I decided to omit the cream.

Start by cleaning leeks and slicing them. Leeks can be a pain to clean, so much dirt... What I do is slice them and then soak them in a bowl of water. Stir them around and let them sit. Drain them and repeat this a number of times. You will see little bits of dirt in the bottom of the bowl after each cleaning. I am sure there are other way to clean leeks but this works for me.


Cut the Chicken breast into thin cutlets. Dredge them in flour. Heat oil and a knob of butter in a skillet and add leeks. Saute until tender. Add the bacon. Cook until crisp. Place cutlets in pan and saute until cooked through about 4 min. per side. I cover the pan and let the chicken cook for about 3 - 4 minutes.

For a side dish I did a test run on a recipe I will be bringing to my sister's on Thanksgiving. Risotto Primavera Cake. I saw this recipe on the Proud Italian blog and the photo looked so pretty. I made a small version just to be sure it would taste as good as it looked in the photo. Wow. This was good. This was very good.

For dessert my neighbor Kim brought over some No Bake Cheesecake for me to try. It is very light and I could have eaten more but... Here is her recipe -

No Bake Cheesecake... to die for! 10 oz. cream cheese 1/2 cup powder sugar 1 tsp vanilla 1/2 tsp lemon juice 1 cup heavy cream pre-baked pie crust of your choice (Kim made a shortbread crust) Stir first 4 ingredients until creamed. Lightly whip heavy cream until thick. Fold cream with other ingredients, put in shell and chill for up to 3 hours or over night...DIG IN!!!

2 comments:

Heather S-G said...

Oh, delish!! Definitley a chicken & bacon kinda night ;) And I love that side dish...looks gorgeous and sounds great, too. I use a Canon Rebel XS :)

Lucia from Madison said...

Thanks for stopping by and have a nice holiday!