Monday, November 9, 2009

Curried Potato and Spinach Soup

A nod is a good as a wink to a blind horse... is a blog I recently started following. I like the writer's style. The recipe for this soup interested me. We do not use curry powder a lot. Reading the health note at the end of the blog entry caught my attention.
Chris loved it. He went back for seconds and I think he had a little more. I was not really counting (past the 2nd bowl) because I was enjoying the soup myself. The recipe calls for 1 to 2 teaspoons of curry powder. I used just one. Didn't want to over do it the first time I made the recipe. Here is the recipe as it appears on A nod is a good as a wink to a blind horse...

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons butter
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 carrot, peeled and finely grated
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder *
⅛ teaspoon thyme
4 cups chicken stock
1 ½ pounds potatoes, peeled
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup fresh baby spinach

* This depends on how much you like curry

Melt the butter in a large pot then add the onion, carrot, garlic, curry powder and thyme. Stir while cooking for 4 to 7 minutes. Add the potatoes and seasoning. Then stir in the stock.

Simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are falling apart. Add the spinach, stir through then turn off the heat. Ladle the soup into warmed soup bowls and serve with the garlic toast.

I would recommend reading A nod is a good as a wink to a blind horse... It is like visiting with a old friend.

1 comment:

George Gaston said...

Lucia, many thanks for the nod! Like you, it was the article that inspired me to add curry to my potato soup, which I am glad I did. Curry is an acquired taste, especially the hotter curries; but in moderation they can really bring a delicious twist to most recipes.