Friday, November 20, 2009

Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta

I found this recipe in one of those holiday recipe books that you can pick up for free as you leave the grocery store. This one was called A Taste of the Season and I picked it up at Big Y. Here is a link to the recipe at the Big Y site. There is also a recipe on their site for a Turkey Spinach Lasagna which sounds good.

Below is the recipe with my added comments, just a couple of random thoughts. The hardest part to this recipe was chopping the parsley. This recipe makes enough for six people so I cut it in half.


Ingredients

2 tbsp. olive oil

4 garlic clove, minced
(I did not have garlic and it was not missed. I think 4 cloves are a bit much, it would drown out the other flavors... but that is just my opinion)
1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped

4 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
(I used dried)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

4 tbsp tomato paste

1 14 1/2 oz can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained

2 1/2 cups chicken broth

Salt and Pepper to taste

28 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined

1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half

4 to 6 oz. feta cheese, cubed

3 cups cooked rice
(I made Israeli couscous)

Directions

Preheat oven to 450˚F.


In skillet over medium heat, add oil. Add garlic, parsley, oregano and red pepper flakes and saute for 3 minutes or until garlic is softened.


In a large bowl, combine garlic/red pepper mixture, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, chicken broth, salt and pepper; mix well. Transfer to baking dish.
(Here is were an extra dish to wash is added. Just mix everything in the baking dish!) Spoon shrimp, grape tomatoes and feta over mixture and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until shrimp are opaque in center. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper and serve over rice.

Makes 6 (approximately 2- cup) servings.


Tip: To serve this recipe in snap, you can make the soup base up to 2 days ahead of time and store in the refrigerator. When ready to use, add shrimp, tomatoes and feta and bake according to the recipe directions.


I am not sure who wrote this recipe but it was delicious. We had some Italian bread because the sauce as so good.


And we did eat dinner this past week, just did not have blogging time... Tuesday we had Barber Chicken Cordon Bleu and Wednesday we had pasta with meat sauce. Last night, Thursday, was my husband's birthday! We ate at Friends and Company. I had Tuna with a sauce that I wrote down what was in it but there is a cat sitting comfortably on my lap making it impossible to get up and find my notes...

No comments: