Sunday, January 17, 2010

Eggplants and Tomato and Prosciuotto Stuffed Bread

This week's meals, well at least for 4 nights will come from La Cucina, The Regional Cooking of Italy cookbook. Tonight I made Melanzane E Pomodori, Eggplants and Tomato. It reminded me of a deconstructed Eggplant Parmesan. It is from the Calabria region of Italy.

Ingredients
4 eggplants (about 2 lb.)
4 large eggs, beaten

2 tbsp. grated pecorino

Olive Oil

4 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped,
I used a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
Salt


Method

Peel the eggplants and cut them in small cubes. Put the cubes in salted water for about 1 hour. Meanwhile, mix the eggs and pecorino and set aside. Rinse and drain the eggplant cubes. Heat 1/4 inch of olive oil in a high-sided pan and fry the eggplant cubes until golden. Add the tomatoes and egg mixture and stir to cook the eggs until they set. Serve immediately.


I also made a stuffed bread. I used the other portion of pizza dough I had in the freezer from last week. I filled it with Prosciutto, Mozzarella and Swiss cheese. Wow it was good!

No comments: