Monday, January 25, 2010

Lenore's Chicken Noodle Soup

I finally made my sister's recipe for chicken stock. It tasted as good as hers!

Lenore's Chicken Soup
Cover a stewing (fowl) chicken with about 4-6 quarts of water. Add celery stalks, whole carrots, & whole onions. (You don't have to peel anything if you wash it well; it just makes the soup darker and you retain more vitamins.) Add salt, pepper, 2 bay leaves, and basil and parsley. Bring to a boil, lower heat and allow to simmer, covered, about 3 hours. Strain & toss vegetables. Bone and dice up chicken. (There is usually a lot and I use some for chicken salad.) (This is a good place to stop if you want to do this in 2 days. You can put the broth in the fridge and take off the fat.) Put the chicken back into the broth with any vegetable you want--carrots, celery, peas. Simmer another hour. If you want to add rice with the vegetables, remember it will absorb some of the broth. You can cook pasta separately and add at the end.

I ended up with 5 ziplock bags each containing 2 cups of chicken broth. And that was after I fixed a pan of soup that we ate last night and tonight. Well worth the time.

In the pan of soup I made I added sauteed onions, carrots, and celery, fresh thyme, frozen spinach and noodles. Delicious!

1 comment:

Velva said...

Does it get any better than homemade chicken soup...I think not. Your sister's recipe (now yours) looks fresh and tasty. Chicken soup just always hits the spot.

Just recently, I made a batch of chicken stock and I thought to myself why I had not done this sooner-it's so damn good.