Saturday, February 27, 2010

Parmesan Chicken and Tortelli Filled with Swiss Chard

Today I was reading the Mark Bittman blog, Bitten which lead me to a recipe for Parmesan Chicken. There was a video featuring Mark Bittman and Jamie Oliver. I knew the last name would get your attention. This was so simple to make. It came out moist and the flavors from the herbs and lemon peel were delicious. I used organic chicken for this dish.

As a side dish we had Tortelli Filled with Swiss Chard, a recipe from La Cucina. The recipe comes from the Emilia-Romagna region. I made these last weekend and froze them. I did cheat with this recipe by using Wonton Wrappers for the dough instead of making fresh pasta.

Ingredients:

For Filling:

1 bunch Swiss chard

1 1/2 lbs ricotta

1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

2 tbsp unsalted butter

1 egg

pinch grated nutmeg

salt


For the Sauce:

1 cup unsalted butter, melted (I only dused 1/2 cup, 1 stick)

1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano


Method:

Clean the greens, cutting away the stalks, and boil them just until bright green. Remove them from the water, squeeze them dry, and leave to drain.
Combine the ricotta with the grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and butter. Chop the boiled greens and work together with the cheese mixture along with the egg, a pinch of salt and nutmeg. Arrange small amount of filling on the wonton wrappers and fold to form the Tortelli. Cook the Tortelli in lightly salted boiling water for 15 minutes or until they float (this took my tortelli only 5 minutes, I tasted one and it was cooked), then drain thoroughly. Combine the melted butter and Parmigiano-Reggiano. Arrange some of the tortelli in a single layer in a deep bowl. Spoon over some the sauce and repeat the layers using all the tortelli.

This was a big hit. There was a comment about the green stuff in the tortelli but they seemed to disappear.


We had a bottle of Fat Cat Pinot Noir with the meal. It was a simply delicious Saturday night meal.

1 comment:

À LA GRAHAM said...

So glad I found your blog. I am going to have to try this one. I just made ravioli with egg roll wrappers for the first time..."Spinach and Mushroom Ravioli". I was impressed at how easy it was. Great blog. I will be visiting often!