Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Timballo Di Sfoglie


Beef and Vegetable Pie from the Abruzzo region. The recipe comes from La Cucina. My only complaint is the recipe used a few too many pans but the outcome was worth it. Here is the recipe which serves 6 (I cut the recipe in half). The recipe also calls for artichokes. One of us in not a huge fan so I replaced it with yellow squash. It was delicious. I also used a springform pan.

Ingredients
Unsalted butter

For the dough:
About 2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
4 large eggs
Salt

For the sauce:
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
3/4 lb. ground beef
2 lbs. canned tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
Salt

For the filling:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, for frying
7 oz. zucchini, cut in rounds
3 artichokes, cut in pieces
1 1/4 lb. scamorza cheese, cubed
1 large egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Method
Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
Grease a 10-inch-round baking dish with butter.
Use the flour and eggs to prepare a pasta dough. Roll out a very thin sheet; cut the sheet in strips about 8 inches long and 6 inches wide. Cook these in boiling lightly salted water for 3 minutes until very al dente, drain and dry on a cloth.
In another pan prepare the sauce: heat the olive oil in the pan and brown the ground beef. Add the tomatoes, onions and the salt to taste.
In another pan heat the olive oil and fry the zucchini and artichokes until golden, then combine them with the scamorza.
Mix the egg into the milk.
In the prepared pan, arrange alternating layers of pasta, scamorza, sauce, pats of butter, Parmigiano-Reggiano, and half of the egg mixture; repeat then end with a final layer of pasta and bake 50 minutes.

2 comments:

Velva said...

I like it!!!!

Proud Italian Cook said...

Lucia, This looks fantastic, I recently made an eggplant timbale that I will soon post and I've made a Timpano, like the one in the Big Night movie. I will try this with the artichokes, my favorite vegetable. Happy V-Day Lucia.