Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Escarole and Bean Soup

 
This meal reminds me of my mom. We had this quite often when I was growing up. This recipe came from Cooking With Chef Silvio. I added the kielbasa because someone I know really likes meat for dinner. Actually my mom added all sorts of meat to this so maybe Chris would have liked her version of this.
Anyway the soup was delicious. We toasted one of the loaves of bread I made this weekend and topped it with some Black Truffle Oil that I received from my Secret Santa! It was amazing.

Escarole and Bean Soup Recipe
1 head coarsely chopped escarole, well washed
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
5 cloves garlic chopped (I didn't add this)
4 cups chicken broth
1 cup undrained canned white cannellini beans
salt and pepper
Crushed red pepper

Fill a 4 quart pot halfway with salted water and bring to a boil. Add the escarole and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally until the escarole is cooked al dente. Drain and set aside.
In the same 4 quart pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook until golden. Stir in the escarole, chicken broth and the cannellini beans. Bring to a boil, turn the heat down, and simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper to your liking, and crushed red pepper. Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over each dish and serve with crusty bread.

1 comment:

Velva said...

Escarole is a beautiful addition to soup. I have discovered that recently in a hearty minestrone.
Your soup looks great. I know it's cold and soup hits the spot.

Velva