Friday, June 10, 2011

Bavette in Guazzetto

One of my favorite eBlasts that I receive is the Tasting Table. I bookmarked this recipe awhile back and finally made it tonight. Why did I wait so long. It was wonderful. It reminded me of my mom's Christmas Eve Fish Sauce. And that says alot! But I forgot to add the breadcrumbs before I took the photo : (

Ingredients
6 ounces skinless cod fillet, cut into 3-inch-wide strips
Sea salt

¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
3 garlic cloves, crushed
 (I used one and kept it whole so I could remove it)
1 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
One 28-ounce can peeled whole San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand

1 pound linguine fini pasta
½ bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped (about ½ cup)

12 basil leaves, chopped

Freshly ground black pepper

3 tablespoons fresh bread crumbs, toasted in olive oil until golden brown

Directions
1. Generously cover each piece of fish with salt and let stand for 12 minutes to firm the flesh. Rinse the fish under cold water and pat dry.
2. In a deep saucepan, heat ¼ cup of olive oil over medium-high heat. When the oil begins to ripple, add the fish and cook until the cod turns opaque and starts to lightly brown, about 3 minutes; turn the fish over and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the garlic and red-pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the cod begins to flake easily when pierced with the tip of a knife, 5 to 6 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, bring a pot of heavily salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, then drain and add to the tomato sauce, reserving ½ cup of the pasta water. Stir the pasta water into the sauce until emulsified, then add the parsley and basil and toss gently. Season with salt and pepper and divide among plates. Sprinkle each plate with bread crumbs and drizzle with olive oil. Serve immediately.

No comments: