Monday, June 27, 2011

Fresh Summer Minestrone and Parsley & Scallion Bread



I saw this recipe in the La Cucina eblast last week. It was, and I am quoting Chris, "This is delicious!"

Instructions

Bring 3 cups water to boil.

Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add beans and boiling water; bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 25 minutes.

Add potato and carrot and season with a few food pinches of salt. Continue to cook, covered, until beans are tender, about 40 minutes more.

Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of salted water to boil. Drop tomatoes into water and boil 30 seconds; drain, peel, seed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.

When beans are tender, add tomato, corn, peas and spinach; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve warm or room temperature, drizzled with oil and sprinkled with herbs and extra pepper.

To go with the soup I made Parsley and Scallion Bread, a variation on Cilantro and Scallion Bread from the new Bon Appetit. The dough was amazing to work with and the finished product very nice!
I want to thank the folks at Food 52 for the suggestions of substitutions for Cilantro in this recipe. I am just not a fan of Cilantro. But the Parsley was a great idea!

3 comments:

Debi said...

That looks like a good dinner. And I'm not a soup person, but I could totally murder a bowl of that right now!

Jeanne said...

YUM I would love a bowl minus the corn, I would cheat use can beans never had luck with died beans, one more thing I would use spray not a butter person, Chris is one well fed husband giving Chris credit by your past remarks he knows how to pick out wine.

Velva said...

When I think of minestrone, I always think of Winter. I need to get my act together and think summer minestrone. This looks delicious. The scallion bread is a nice touch.

Velva