Thursday, January 12, 2012

My Mom's Meat Sauce Recipe

Okay. Here it the deal. During the winter, once a week we have Pasta with Meat Sauce. Not just any meat sauce. The sauce is the sauce my mom taught me how to make. Last week I announced my choice in canned tomatoes was the same as what my mom had used, Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes.
I have been going through the blog posts and looking to see if I had ever posted my mom's recipe. I don't think I have.
Well here it is.



My Mom’s Meat Sauce

2 tbsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1/2 lb. sweet sausage
1/2 lb. hot sausage
4- 16 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
tomato paste
1 tbsp. oregano
1 tbsp. parsley
1 tbsp. basil
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup red wine

Heat olive oi in large pot. Add garlic and chopped onions and saute for 5 minutes. Add all the meat. Cook over medium heat until browned. Meat does not need to be cooked through. Add tomatoes and simmer covered 30 minutes to 1 hour. Add tomato paste to thicken, adding 1 tbsp. at a time as needed. Add herbs, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes. Add wine, cover and simmer 10 to 20 minutes. Remove clove of garlic and let cool completely. Remove any grease from the top of the sauce. Freeze extra sauce in containers or zip log bags.

1 comment:

Velva said...

You know that this is a special sauce if it is one your mom made.

Cheers.
Velva