Saturday, May 5, 2012

Foodstock and Butternut Squash Ravoili

Let's start with dinner. First of all I was exhausted. For some reason I woke up at 3:30AM and did not fall back to sleep. Grrrrrrrr.
And today was Foodstock, more on that later.

I needed something fast for dinner. The less pans involved the better. No I did not order pizza, tempting as that was. I had some Butternut Squash Ravioli in the freezer. We had this back in March. Followed the same sauce recipe. Yes it was just as good. How could you go wrong with butter and cheese and sage.

Now on to Foodstock. What a fun day. A day surrounded by food writers and bloggers and restaurant owners and reviewers. And best of all was a seminar with Molly O'Neill, yes Paul O'Neill's sister.

The day started with Faith Middleton interviewing Ruth Reichl. They talked about a wide range of topics. One thing they brought up which I never thought of before was prepared organic food in the freezer section that is microwaved in plastic containers.
Another topic they touched on is aging wine in water. Did you know Thomas Jefferson had wine put on ships that sailed back and forth to Europe to help age the wine?
Another topic was the industrialization of organic food, or that organic food they sell at Walmart. Lets just say it is not recommended.
Next up was Eric Asimov. One thing he stated was that bottles of wine are products of thought and work.
Champagne and potato chips? Both he and Faith said yes. Something about wine, salt and fat... I will have to check on that one.
New best wine values are from Spain and Italy, Sicily to be exact.

Lunch break. Food truck galore.
I picked the grilled cheese truck, The Whey Station. Grilled Brie and Bacon Marmalade. I love brie and it was the first time I have had Bacon Marmalade. Lets just say it won't be my last!

Then we came to Molly O'Neill. In the kitchen there is a beginning, a middle and an end. Cooking equals power. And being terrified at times is great. The food you eat shows who you are, what you have and where you want to be.

Okay I will not go on. All I can say is today was a great day! I even met some cool people. Judy from Milford, Joan and Jay from NY, and Lee White who is a food writer for the Shoreline News. And wow I am beat.

Will I make it to the super moon... I will let you know tomorrow.

No comments: