Saturday, March 16, 2013

Mark Bittman at Ikea

Yeah! Second row to see Mark Bittman. An autographed copy of his book How to Cook Everything The Basics. Interesting talk. And ran into Emily Tu Bumacto of Emily's Kitchen there!

Mark Bittman is my favorite food writer. I love the tone of his pieces. And his cookbooks, well let's just say if everyone tried a recipe from one of his How to Cook Everything series, including the iPhone app, I do believe people would see how damn easy it is to put a meal on the table. Just a few ingredients and the result is an amazing dish. Screw processed foods. Sorry for being so rude about it but really making a nutritious home cooked meal, where you know all the ingredients, is just not that hard to do.

Okay off the soap box and on to dinner.

 
Tonight was one of our favorites. Chicken with Bacon and Leeks. I am sure I have told the story that when I met Chris we were working at a place called Nancy Lee's and this dish was on her menu. It is our comfort food. The flavors bring back a lot of memories of that little restaurant.

For a side dish, along with Aborio rice, I made something different. Fennel, orange and olive salad. I found this on Rachel Eats. Visit this blog. Trust me, lots to read! Now regular readers (are there any out there?) will know that I like fennel. Chris did like the orange and olive combination.

Tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day. When I was leaving the grocery store today a clerk said, "Happy St. Patrick's Day" to me. I said thank you but wondered if on Tuesday they will be saying Happy St. Joseph's Day? Seriously a Zeppole is a much better thing to look forward to compared to Corn Beef and Cabbage. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Sprigs of Rosemary said...

Lucky you . . . I love Mark Bittman, too. Have the app and the book (first book) and find I'm taking the iPad with me to the kitchen a lot more just for things like, "Now how do I cook an eggplant?"