Monday, October 27, 2014

Italian Wedding Soup, My Way

I love this soup. Chris loved this soup. It was perfect for a cool day. While searching for a recipe for Italian Wedding Soup, and after reading a lot of different recipes, I settled on this version.

First of all, for the meatballs I used sausage meat. I used the same procedure as I was using for the hamburgers this summer, with a couple of changes. I  chopped up 2 slices of rye bread and added about 2 tablespoons of milk. That was left to sit for a moment. Then the bread and milk were mashed up and a beaten egg along with Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley and salt and pepper were mixed into the bread. The meat was added. The mixture seemed a little too moist so I added some plain bread crumbs until I was comfortable with the consistency. I do not usually add egg to my meatballs so I had to adjust for that. One of the many recipes added an egg so that's why I did. Anyway, I shaped the meat into smaller than golf ball sized meatballs. A baking sheet was lined with parchment paper and the meatballs were placed on the baking sheet and into the oven at 350˚ for 30 minutes.

The soup was started by sautéing chopped onions, carrots and celery in 2 tablespoons of olive oil. I added 4 cups of chicken broth to the pan and let that simmer. Swiss chard which was chopped up was added along with the meatballs and some chopped up chicken meat I had in the freezer from when the broth was made. There was a little rice left over for Saturday's dinner and that went in the pot too. Salt, pepper and thyme was added. I squeezed the juice from a half of a lemon into the pot. And that is how I made my soup.

I am so glad I made a large pot of this, looking forward to taking this out of the freezer.

1 comment:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

this sounds wonderful. I can't add the onions(allergies) but I certainly am going to try the sausage method ... wow that looks good I can smell it from here! :)