Monday, September 19, 2016

Italian Wedding Soup

 
This was a twist on the usual Italian Wedding Soup. I could not find Escarole anywhere, well I didn't get to Bishops, so I used spinach. The meatballs were made with Ferraro's Sausage.

 
I removed the sausage from the casings and formed the meat into very small meatballs. The meatballs were pan-fried until they’re golden brown on all sides.

For the soup, I sautéed the usual suspects in a pot—a chopped small yellow onion, two diced carrots, diced celery, red pepper flakes and a can of white cannellini beans. Then I added enough stock to cover the vegetables by a few inches. Bring that to a boil. I stirred in a big bunch of shredded spinach, as well as the meatballs, and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through, about five minutes.

I cooked the pasta, orzo, in a separate pot. I drained it and put into a container with water. Tonight Chris just drained it and heated in the soup

Garnish with a grated Parmigiano. Delicious!

No comments: